La Perla (“The Pearl”) is an Italian lingerie designer opened in Bologna in 1954. La Perla Ada Masotti, using her skills as a corset-maker, opened the first boutique and named it after the jeweler’s case, lined in red velvet, in which the company’s designs were transported.
The company distinguished itself through its use of luxurious fabrics such as Leaver’s Lace, a finely-threaded specialty lace produced on antique looms, and traditional Italian stitching techniques such asFrastaglio, a Florentine embroidered inlay technique. The company has several signature designs which have been produced for years, one being the Triangle Bra, first offered in the 1970s.
In 2008, La Perla was purchased by San Francisco-based investment group, JH Partners. La Perla fragrances are produced in partnership with Morris Profumi.